Jun 8, 2011

from around the house, etc.

While Jim has been working hard doing interviews and finishing up work for the show, we have been working hard building out the space for the exhibition at the Westgate Lofts storefront.  The folks down there have been unbelievably generous and easy to work with, and the space is looking great.  We are really looking forward to Friday.  Funny, I realized today that the final layout abstractly resembles Jim's actual house somewhat--I don't know if that is accidental, or merely points to his deeply embedded sense of home and history as an architect..

Here are some pics I snapped on my phone from around the house and studio the other day.  I swear every time I visit I see something new.  And something new sees me.  Jim's house has many faces--made from found objects, a mix of his work past, or a collision thereof (look at the book for good examples of that).  Sometimes I think they might now be self-replicating while Jim is away or asleep; taking on a life of their own.

even the bathroom reflects his palette and installation sensibilities..

same shut as open..


The kitchen wall is the longest-running mega collage in the house, and it's CRAZY to look at. There is a lot of information there, as well as some great gems.   It reminds me of a public area for posting bills that builds up layers and layers of history.  Somehow all of the layers in this case relate back to Jim..



what I've realized is that taking pictures of Jim's house makes everything flat and graphic (essentially what he does in his photo work).  It's like the stagings in his house bend to his will in that way.  These are 3-d outcroppings from the wall that now look like a single photo.

there is a lot of humor in the kitchen piece..

Look! I'm even worked in now (a photocopy I gave him of one of my drawings is now adorned with one of his figures).  I'm in interesting company with Kenny Riches and Osama..


latex chest piece in the studio

early double portrait

I laugh every time I look at it..

from the early drawings I mentioned in an earlier post